Thursday, January 15, 2015

Identity Crisis?

Not too long after I started my new sober journey, I ran a little caption contest on my business Facebook page. It was a photo of a deep in thought me. I simply asked, "What am I thinking?" The responses caught me a little off guard. I heard many that included some sort of alcohol, and me wishing I had it in my hand. These comments all came from people who didn't yet know that I had quit drinking. That was the day I let Facebook know, that this wino had given it up! So then what? It seemed very clear to me, that who I was, at least to a lot of people, even if meant complimentary, was an EXTREME lover of wine, and Fireball.  Maybe it was a phenomena I would only encounter on Facebook? Maybe the posts on my wall, the cartoons, the photos...

                              Maybe they gave the wrong impression? I really doubt it!!! So now what?  I don't feel like I can even begin yet to explain who I am without alcohol. It was definitely a big part of me, and obviously associated with almost everything I did.
I get a lot of statements like, " So how long are you not going to drink?" and a whole lot of "Why?" There seems to be a general disbelief and shock when I tell people I have quit drinking. A look on their faces that says, "Who are you?"  Really the only stock answer that I have is, "I am still fun!" I have yet to have anyone tell me that yes, I am still fun, but DAMN IT I AM!! Ha! (OK, my husband may disagree when I bitch about beer breath.)
What I do know, is I am liking the new me. Even if I don't completely know me yet. I think it is an improvement. Hell, I know it is!

                                                                   ~Rae

1 comment:

  1. Facebook is awash with booze… but then so is most of life! Great you're giving sober living a go, look forward to following along on your journey. Go you! xxxx

    ReplyDelete